About Me

My photo
"She don't care about books or school. No, she just wants to rock and roll. Baby, she's no fool. You're so cool" - Will Hoge
"You choose a path in life, and when you do, sprint. Don't stroll down it." - Kevin Lyman

Monday, May 18, 2015

Interview with Josh Smith from Halestorm at Rock On The Range 2015

How has the response to Into the Wild Life been?

It’s been really amazing… I mean, the best response to an album yet. Even in terms of not only positive feedback, but just response in general. There’s negative feedback, but it’s fun to read all the comments and what people think, why they think it, and their interpretations of the music. It’s been really cool. I enjoy it and we’re having such a great time playing all the new stuff live and having more stuff to fit in the catalogue and mess with the setlist every night. It’s been a blast. And I’m not sick of the album yet, I’ve been listening to it!

I’m not either! [laughs]

I have to listen to it still just to fine tune and see what else I can make work live. In listening to it still, I enjoy it.

You talked about the setlist, what goes into y’all picking the songs that get played and don’t get played? I know festivals are a little different, but when I saw you in Birmingham a few weeks ago and I noticed that each set has the same songs, but in a different order.

It’s kind of just being aware on stage of how everything’s working, the flow of the set, and also paying attention to the crowd and seeing if they’re enjoying themselves or if there’s any dead air, “Oh, that was really awkward,” you know? And when you have an awkward moment on stage, it’s probably about five seconds but it feels like an eternity. So it’s just kinda keeping that in mind and constantly seeing how you can improve on song placement or what songs are played. We’re early on in this album cycle so we have to be careful with how much new stuff we play because you have to think that essentially not everyone has heard the album yet so you have to keep the old stuff active and alive. Sort of put a new song in, and then maybe an old song, then a new song, then two old songs, and just sprinkle it in accordingly. I think the coolest part is now that we have thirteen more songs to throw in, it gives us the flexibility to change it up every night and say “Let’s try this here” or “Let’s try this there”. That’s like the dream to write the setlist right before you go on stage and do it like Pearl Jam does.

That’s my band! That’s what I was thinking of, but I wasn’t gonna say anything. Besides Hanson, that is my other band! I have 13 favorite bands and y’all are in the top 13.

Oh my god, that’s awesome.

My mom and I follow Pearl Jam, so that’s our band.

So do we, they are a true rock band.

Have you seen Pearl Jam?

I, shoot me now, have not seen Pearl Jam live.

My mom has seen Pearl Jam almost 80 times. Not exaggerating. I’ve seen them nine times.

That’s so cool. I’ve gotten tickets for my brothers to see them.

Well that’s not fair!

It’s not!

Where did they see them?

They saw them in Philadelphia at the Made in America concert. My friends went to the last Spectrum concerts, which was cool, but I’m just waiting for the day I get to see them. It can’t come soon enough.

We make travel plans around Pearl Jam tours, like “Oh, we’re going on vacation but we’re seeing Pearl Jam while we’re there.” My first Pearl Jam show was in Hawaii in 2006. It was the first time I had flown anywhere, and I flew to Hawaii, not for vacation, but to see Pearl Jam and then we plan the vacation around seeing Pearl Jam.

Perfect. Sounds like a great trip.

I was in the sixth grade when that happened, oh my god I feel old now.

I doubt you’re older than me.

No, I’m not. I’m a baby. I’m probably the youngest one in this room.

You’re an old baby.

Yeah, looking around, I think I’m the youngest one here.

I’d say that’s accurate.

I mean I’m not even old enough to drink.

Wow! [laughs] you are young.

What do you think about the current state of music? It can be your type of music or music in general.

I think the current state of music is at an exciting time. For the last few years, it seems like rock music or just real music with people playing instruments sort of took a back seat to electronic, poppy sounding stuff which is fine, that’s just the evident flow, sort of the pendulum swing-

Pearl Jam reference!

Yeah!

I hope you caught that.

I just dropped a little easter egg there and she found it.

Did you do that on purpose?

Yes! [laughs] but I have a feeling that it’s swinging back in our direction though and you know, you’re seeing rock bands up on the charts again and you’re seeing some of the best turnouts at festivals that we’ve ever seen so this is amazing and it’s a good time to be a rock fan. I think it’s a damn good time in music and I think you’re gonna hear some stuff in the next few years that you’ll hear for the rest of your time.

Is there anything else you wanna add?

No, thanks for taking the time and hanging out and I can’t wait to get back down to Alabama soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment