About Me

My photo
"She don't care about books or school. No, she just wants to rock and roll. Baby, she's no fool. You're so cool" - Will Hoge
"You choose a path in life, and when you do, sprint. Don't stroll down it." - Kevin Lyman

Sunday, January 19, 2014

AFI Center Stage Atlanta, GA 1/18/14

When AFI comes to the southeast, it is always time for a road trip for me and my mother. AFI tickets were most definitely a Christmas present for me. I think that is the perfect gift ever.

This show happened to fall the day after I saw Against Me! in Birmingham, so hooray for a punk rock weekend! After a minor traffic delay and a pit stop at our favorite restaurant, The Flying Biscuit, Mom and I arrived at Center Stage. One of the things I was looking most forward to at this show was the fact that it was sold out and that it was the first time I had seen AFI since 2010 (which is too long, if you ask me). To make the night better, I was on the barricade. YES

The first band of the night was called Coming. The second band was called Youth Code. Both bands were, to put it bluntly, not good. I am terribly sorry, but when the entire crowd is looking at each other with the "what the hell is this" look on their face, and you hear the people in the back booing, something is just horribly wrong. Coming was a terrifying attempt at spoken-word punk music, while Youth Code, was a horrific attempt at screamo-dubstep. I give them props for following their dreams, but because we were all waiting ever so patiently for AFI, the bands sounded worse. That is basically it for the negativity.

When the lights went down, the crowd was insane and the "through our bleeding, we are one" and "AFI AFI AFI" chants began. The band ran on stage and Davey stood on the drum riser and did one of the prettiest pike jumps I have ever seen (I cheered for 9.5 years. There are not many people who can do pikes like that.) I love the energy of the band. They jump around and fly through the air like graceful fairies. It is beautiful. They played

The Leaving Song Pt. II
Girl's Not Grey
I Hope You Suffer
File 13 (WHAT!!! WE ARE HEARING SOMETHING FROM VERY PROUD OF YA?!?!?!? WHAT? CUE CROWD FREAKOUT)
Love Like Winter
Ever And A Day
17 Crimes
The Interview (OMG!!! CROWD FREAKOUT!!! DECEMBERUNDERGROUND)
Kill Caustic
The Leaving Song (Hunter and Adam left the stage.)
Heart Stops
Miss Murder
The Days Of The Phoenix
God Called In Sick Today

Encore:

Just Like Heaven (The Cure cover)
Dancing Through Sunday (Yay!)
Silver And Cold

This show definitely rivals my first AFI show, which I thought was the best until now. One thing I noticed was the absence of Crash Love songs, which pissed off the "uber fan" next to me who thought AFI was still promoting Crash Love. No, sweetheart, they are promoting Burials. Uber fan? No.

Check out AFI's new album Burials, available now!  















































No comments:

Post a Comment