About Me

My photo
"She don't care about books or school. No, she just wants to rock and roll. Baby, she's no fool. You're so cool" - Will Hoge
"You choose a path in life, and when you do, sprint. Don't stroll down it." - Kevin Lyman

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Against Me! Workplay Birmingham, AL 1/17/14

Against Me! is coming to Workplay on a Friday night. YES. The last time I saw them was at Warped Tour 2011, when White Crosses came out. (FYI, White Crosses is my favorite album) So much has changed since then. I will not go into the details because most of you reading this will already know (if not, read here.)

The first band of the night was The Shondes. They are from Brooklyn, New York. They have a very interesting way of infusing their Jewish heritage into their music. Certain songs had lyrics that pertained to it. They played

Sing For You
Dr. Manhattan
The Garden
On Your Side
Follow The Storm
The Promise
Give Me What You've Got

The Shondes are a good, feminine punk rock band at its finest.

After them were The Sidekicks. They were fairly decent. They were a little bit different than the other bands of the night. Their sound was little more hard rock than punk, but they definitely had some punk influence. Their singer looked a lot like my best friend too, and it freaked me out!

Against Me! was spot on. The best shows are always the ones where every person in the audience knows every word to every song and they are singing their hearts out with the band. That is exactly how this show was. I was in the front and I had to lay with my elbows on the stage the entire night because the crowd was so rambunctious. Beer was flying everywhere and crowd surfers were prominent. Their set consisted of

FUCKMYLIFE666
Pints Of Guinness Make Your Strong
New Wave (One of my favorites)
Walking Is Still Honest
True Trans Soul Rebel
Cliché Guevara
I Still Love You Julie
Transgender Dysphoria Blues
White People For Peace
I Was A Teenage Anarchist (YAY!)
Unconditional Love
Turn Those Clapping Hands Into Angry Balled Fists
Pretty Girls (The Mover)
Don't Lose Touch
Black Me Out
Miami
Thrash Unreal
The Ocean
Sink.Florida.Sink

Encore:

Bamboo Bones
Rapid Decompression
We Laugh At Danger (And Break All The Rules)

Against Me!'s new album Transgender Dysphoria Blues is out now!


























No comments:

Post a Comment